AWCI Celebrates 100 Years
The Ames tool company has been around since 1774. The Jim Beam distillery sold its first barrel of whiskey in 1795. DuPont came to life in 1802, and Colgate started in 1806. USG’s Sheetrock brand gypsum panels have been around since 1917. But it was March 11, 1918, when 26 lathing and plastering contractors assembled to form the Contracting Plasterers International Association. Today, nearly 100 years later, that association is known as the Association of the Wall and Ceiling Industry. With more than 2,300 member companies comprised of wall and ceiling contractors, manufacturers and suppliers, AWCI is looking forward to celebrating its centennial in March 2018 during AWCI’s Convention in Orlando, Fla.
Beginning this month, we invite you to join us as the excitement builds. AWCI’s Construction Dimensions will feature articles on the history of AWCI and the wall and ceiling industry in the next eight issues:
- Next month we will have a general overview of the last 100 years of ceilings and walls.
- September’s issue will focus on the manufacturing and supply side.
- October’s article will be fun factoids taken from decades of meeting minutes that reflect the industry’s past and current events.
- Longtime industry leaders are interviewed in our November issue.
- December’s issue will tell you more about AWCI’s time capsule, which will be opened in 2118 (we hope).
- In January 2018, industry leaders and influencers will be interviewed for a look back at the industry’s last 30 or so years.
- February’s article will be a timeline of AWCI’s own remarkable history.
- And it all culminates with a special collector’s edition of our March 2018 magazine.
Of note is that all the articles mentioned above will be expanded upon and illustrated in a commemorative book that will be given to all who attend AWCI’s Convention at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Resort, March 24–28, 2018. But that’s not all! Convention events will be upgraded, and AWCI headquarters has a few other surprises in store for convention attendees.
AWCI has set up a special convention event page within its Facebook page (www.facebook.com/AWCIwall). Go there for convention updates and more current details on centennial plans. Also be sure to let us know if you’ll be attending (or are just interested in attending). You can also use this page to comment on the centennial or upload a congratulatory video. Posted comments and videos may be used in the commemorative book and/or in various ways throughout the convention.
If Twitter is your thing, watch for updates from AWCI headquarters, which will use the #AWCI100 hashtag. You’ll find AWCI on Twitter: @AWCI_INFO.
You and your company can take part in the celebration by joining as a Centennial Sponsor. Partnering companies receive maximum recognition through AWCI’s Media (both print and electronic), through AWCI’s social media and at AWCI’s events. AWCI has crafted an array of options to meet any budget; contact Brent Stone at firstname.lastname@example.org or (703) 538.1606.